Welcome to our Frequently Asked Questions!
Other than pricing (which is custom to each cake) and availability (which you need to check with us!) almost everything else should be answered below! Skim through, or just do a search if you have a particular question :)
How does ordering a cake work?
Wanting to order a cake and no idea how? It's easy! Fill in the enquiry form HERE as much as you can, and we’ll take it from there! The more notice the better – you can never enquire too early! And the more information the better - please include the following:
- Size (number of servings)
- Venue (for weddings only)
- design/style theme (with reference pictures)
What can we expect when ordering?
Fun, we hope! And anticipation of a delicious cake.
A basic timeline of events for placing an order with us – you make your enquiry, we’ll send through some quote options and/or ask any questions we need to, once you’ve agreed to a size and price we’ll send through an invoice with all the payment (bank transfer or paypal) details and a breakdown of your order. 20% non refundable deposit is required to secure your order; remaining payment must be made no later than one week before your order is due. On the day of your order (Or the day before if ordering for a Sunday), you pick up your delicious centrepiece! Enjoy.
What does it cost?
Because our cakes are all so different and unique (not to mention all different sizes!) we don’t have a standard pricing list. What we can tell you is that our celebration cakes start from $120 +GST, and wedding cakes from $350 +GST. The easiest way to start is to get in touch, so if you’d like a more specific idea just fill in the enquiry form HERE
Where can we find you?
We work out of a fully registered custom kitchen in a residential area of weird and windy Johnsonville. As the studio is the downstairs of our home, all visits are by appointment only. When ordering a cake, attending a class or coming along for a consultation, the address will be provided.
How do I pay?
Once you have agreed to a quote and given the go-ahead for your order, you will receive an invoice by email. You can pay using bank transfer, credit card, or paypal - all information will be on the invoice. ***Please note we DO NOT ALLOW early or partial payments without prior consent
20% deposit is required to confirm your order, remaining 80% is due 10 days before collection.
How do I know if you received my payment?
As soon as your pay reaches us, it updates automatically on your invoice - just click the invoice link you were sent, and you will be able to see it! If you have made a payment and it still isn't showing 48 hours later - that's when you need to get in touch. What are your flavours?
All our delicious flavours can be found on the "FLAVOURS" tab of our website HERE
Do you run wedding cake tastings?
Yes we do! We run tasting evenings here at the studio most months of the year (except wedding season when we're too busy with weddings!). We'll have a selection of flavours (usually a range of 10-12 that cover our most popular) with all our icings, fillings, and ganaches for you to try them with. Tastings are mixed group events for up to 24 guests, and cost $20 per head (including bubbles/juice and cheese/crackers/dip to break up all the sugar!)
If/when we have available tasting spaces, you can book them from the "TASTINGS" tab on the website HERE
**Please note - tastings are not a requirement
for booking your wedding cake with us! Over half our couples still choose their flavours directly from the flavours list (found HERE
) but they are a fun evening if time/budget allows. Your confirmed flavours are not needed until 10 days before your big day, so you can book everything else for your cake - and leave flavour picking until later.
Are cakes delivered or do we pick up?
We deliver all wedding cakes within the Wellington region and set them up for you on the day (leave it to the pros!), all other cake orders can either be picked up from the Johnsonville studio at an agreed time, or delivered within Wellington for a fee. Make sure you let us know if you have a specific pick up or delivery time when ordering - and please note that because we are both the makers AND the deliverers (we don't use a courier company) our delivery spots are VERY limited. Our standard opening hours for collection on a Saturday are between 9am and 10am.
Do you cater for allergies?
We have a variety of Gluten free, dairy free, egg free and nut free cakes available for orders, but please note that we do not work in an allergy free kitchen, so there is always a minor risk of contamination. We will take the utmost care with your particular order (and have separate equipment for GF cake preparation) but our kitchen does work with gluten, eggs, dairy and nuts on a daily basis, so please take this into account. Please let us know if your allergy needs are extreme. Have only a few allergy-conscious guests? We suggest allergy-free cupcakes on the side, separately boxed to the main cake.
Do you make adult themed cakes?
Yes we do! We just don’t share them on social media for the sake of our younger fans. But don’t be shy, we’ve heard your blush-worthy questions about chocolate hail and creamy buttercream before
What are serving sizes?
There are two main serving sizes we cater to with our cakes – SMALL (1” x 1” x 4"), finger portions or STANDARD (1” x 2” x 4"). It’s up to you which of these options works best for you! If serving wedding cake as your dessert we recommend the STANDARD portions, but with coffee with recommend the SMALL. For parties - it depends on your budget, and your sweet tooth!You can also serve a LARGE 2" x 2" x 4" portion - just ask if you'd like these numbers :)
Tip* - make sure you let your venue know which serving size you’ve chosen, and how many servings they should get from your cake!
Fondant, Buttercream, Ganache?
The age old question! We are BIG ganache lovers, and finish our cakes with this by default. We do offer fondant, and some designs require it, and we can do buttercream as a finish - but please note we don't offer this over the summer for weddings. What's the difference? Fondant is the rolled/chewy icing traditionally found on fruit/Christmas cakes, Ganache is a delicious mix of chocolate (white or dark) and cream, and buttercream is butter and icing sugar.
Can we hire stands?
We have a range of towers and stands available for hire, or for weddings check with your venue – often they will have a wedding grade stand available for your use.
Round or square?
This one comes down to taste and preference! For weddings square cakes are easier for dessert size portions, as all your guests will receive the same size and shape piece. Also good if you have a family member or less experienced person doing the cutting! Otherwise it’s all in the look!
For weddings - Fruit cake, yes or no?
Yes we offer fruit cake! If you love fruit cake, go for it! Just note it’s our most expensive flavour. Don’t like it yourself but know your Nana will expect it? Have a small fruit cake in the kitchen for serving!
Can we have a different flavour on each tier?
Heck yes, and why wouldn’t you! All our flavours cost the same (except fruit cake) so mix and match however you like! Just keep in mind some flavours have to be prioritized toward the top because they're softer (red velvet, banana, classic chocolate) and some are not suitable for particular designs.
**If serving alternate plates of cake as the dessert at a wedding you may want to restrict your flavours so there aren’t any fights!
Terms and Conditions
Invoicing and payment
By paying your deposit you are agreeing to the following Terms and Conditions.
• A 20% non refundable deposit is required to confirm your order. The remaining 80% must be paid no later than 7 days prior to your order being ready. If you fail to make final payment your order will be cancelled.
• 20% deposits for all orders are non refundable, no exception. For weddings placing a standard $100 booking fee before confirming the cost of their order, this $100 fee is non refundable.
• If making a last minute order (within two weeks) full payment must be made immediately to confirm, either via Paypal or with proof of payment from bank transfer.
• All payment made on last minute cakes (within two weeks) is non refundable.
• Cancellation in part or full of any cakes booked during wedding season (1 November - 31 March) within 3 months are not eligible for refund. Cakes cancelled with over 3 months notice or outside of these dates may be eligible for a partial refund at the full discretion of Stiletto Studio Cakes.
• Any cancellation within 14 days of an order is non refundable.
• Any private event bookings including Tastings are not eligible for a refund. If you are unable to make your tasting event you are entitled to change to an alternative date provided a minimum of one weeks notice is given.
• Should the worst occur and the cake artist be too unwell or unavailable to make your cake at the last minute, you will be fully refunded and/or we will endeavour to find another cake artist to take over your order if need be.
• We take no responsibility for any damage that may occur to your order once it is in your possession. All our cakes have been constructed as soundly and securely as possible, and we will do our best to make you aware of how to make any minor fixes and/or how to transport and store it safely. Should an accident occur, we may be able to help for a fee, and depending on time availability.
• Due to the nature of the Stiletto Studio kitchen we cannot guarantee that your cake will not come into contact with nuts, milk products, or any other allergens. If you have a specific allergy, please advise us in advance.
• Whilst every care is taken to ensure your final product is exactly what you expected, sometimes due to weather, available product & time allowed, minor changes may be made. Should this happen, we will try our best to notify you in advance. By paying your deposit and agreeing to your cake, you are allowing us creative licence in creating the best looking cake we can provide for you under the circumstances. If you are unhappy with your cake please get in touch with us as soon as possible - please note that there are no refunds for change of mind, and no partial or full refunds will be issued unless the product is returned in its original state, and within 24 hours - and then at the full discretion of Stiletto Studio.
• Classes can be cancelled if less than the minimum number of students are available. We will try to give as much notice as possible
• If your class is cancelled, the value paid for the class can be transferred to an alternative date, or used towards an alternative class. If no alternative date or class can be provided by us, you are entitled to a refund.
• If you cancel a class within 2 weeks of the date, you are not entitled to a refund.
• All classes must be paid in full to confirm booking.
• If you are no longer able to attend a class and can only notify us at the last minute, you are entitled to a refund only if you or we are able to find someone to take your place.